Regulation of Homeowner Associations

The website of the State of California Department of Justice, Office of Attorney General does not handle most homeowner association complaints. Their website recommends contacting an attorney for complaints involving any of the following:

  • The Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act
  • Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs)
  • Service and maintenance issues
  • Property management companies
  • Parking and the towing of vehicles
  • Dues, assessments and citations
  • Costs related to written document production requests
  • Foreclosure proceedings
  • Poor management, misappropriation or negligent handling of corporate assets

If a complaint is about a violation of the California Corporations Code, it can be submitted to:

Office of the Attorney General
California Department of Justice
Attn: Public Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

The California Department of Real Estate does not regulate homeowner associations or their management companies, nor does it have jurisdiction over the enforcement of CC&Rs or bylaws. The ORE is involved in overseeing developers of common interest developments. However, once a developer turns over control of an association to its members, the ORE's oversight ends.

American HOA Management
English: 818-991-9019
Chinese: 818-661-9255